CNN reported that the senator will also propose:
- Mandating that charter schools comply with the same oversight requirements as public schools;
- Mandating that at least half of all charter school boards are teachers and parents;
- Disclosing student attrition rates, non-public funding sources, financial interests and other relevant data;
- Matching employment practices at charters with neighboring district schools, including standards set by collective bargaining agreements and restrictions on exorbitant CEO pay;
- Supporting the efforts of charter school teachers to unionize and bringing charter schools to the negotiating table.
“As president I will stand with groups like the NAACP and put a moratorium on federal funding of new charter schools until rules are in place to make sure they are operating with transparency and accountability,” Sanders tweeted on Friday.
The NAACP passed a resolution calling for a moratorium on the expansion of charter schools during its national convention in 2016.
In a report (pdf) on charters released in 2017, the NAACP Task Force on Quality Education recommended the complete elimination of for-profit charter schools.
“No federal, state, or local taxpayer dollars should be used to fund for-profit charter schools, nor should public funding be sent from non-profit charters to for-profit charter management companies,” the report stated. “The widespread findings of misconduct and poor student performance in for-profit charter schools demand the elimination of these schools.”
Source: Bernie Sanders calls for ban on for-profit charter schools
‘Are You The Defendant?’: Sheriff’s Deputy Mistakes Black Law Student for a Defendant and Stops Her from Entering with Other Lawyers
Data Shows HBCUs Duped By Billions Over The Last Three Decades
New Assessment for Texas Teachers May Threaten Diversity in the Classroom